Friday, May 21, 2010

Categorized | , ,

Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup Is Meds For Your Skin

I think I don't have to repeat myself again that I am a big fan of Clinique, especially its skincare products. If you read back any one of my reviews mentioning the brand, you would see my praise for it. Anytime Clinique releases a new product, I will be the first to jump in line for a try out. Well, of course then it didn't come as a surprise when I took home the newly launched Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup ($24.50) after taking a walk in Sephora.


More about the product: "A liquid makeup that neutralizes redness and blends away blemishes. It feels so fresh, and looks so natural! This non-irritating, oil-free makeup blends away blemishes and neutralizes redness. The medicated ingredients help treat existing breakouts and keep them from coming back."

Unfortunately, with only 8 shades, it is almost impossible and obviously very hard for anyone to get a good skin color match. I am about a MAC 20-25 (more on the 20 side), and #2 Fresh Ivory is pretty close for me but definitely not a perfect match. I guess we just have to make it work under limited choices.


The foundation has a medium coverage and is very buildable. The coverage is decent for me, but if you have many acne scars or other spots, then it probably can not cover them all. The foundation goes on very smoothly and is easy to blend. It covers blemishes well and has a very even finish.

I don't have any acnes right now so I can not comment on its effectiveness to get rid of pimples. But, I have been reading reviews that a lot of people found their pimples and acne problems decreasing after just a short term use of this product. If this is indeed true, then it is a very nice product to have in your vanity. However, my recommendation is that if you have severe acne problems and are looking for a solution, the best way is to see a dermatologist to get rid of them instead of covering them up with makeups, no matter how effective or how good of medications it contains.

Although the foundation gives very good coverage and finish, I did notice that it oxidizes a bit on me throughout the day, meaning that after a few hours, your face will start looking a bit dark and orange than when you first applied the foundation. However, the oxidization is not severe, at least when comparing to quite a few other high end ones I've tried. It is at a degree where I definitely noticed the oxidization but I wouldn't be rushing to do that retouch.

What even bothered me more is the fact that although this is an oil free foundation, it doesn't seem to be good at oil controlling. My face got very greasy after just a few hours, and it sure wasn't pretty. I always try out foundations first without any primers or setting powders so I can test out the oil control ability without interference of other products. On a scale of 1-5, with 1 being the worst, and 5 being the best for oily skin people, I would put this foundation at about 2. It can probably make a 3 or 4 with a very good primer and powder on top of it.

Overall, I would say that if you are troubled with acne or blemishes, then this is definitely worth a shot. But do watch out for those of you who have oily skin as I do. If you have many good foundations that you like, then I'd say to skip this one because it probably won't amaze you.

Pick It or Not ? 
  • Quality: 30 (out of 50)  
  • Packaging: 20 (out of 20)  
  • Price: 20 (out of 20)   
  • User Friendly: 5 (out of 5)   
  • Availability: 5 (out of 5)
Angela's Ultimate Pick: B -

4 Responses to “Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup Is Meds For Your Skin”

Stephani said...
May 25, 2010 at 12:49 AM

I'll try this and post you the result.


Angela (SparkleMidori) said...
May 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Hi Stephani, I would love to hear what you think about this.


micheal said...
May 27, 2010 at 5:11 AM

I am a frequent visitor of your blog, here i have read a lot of articles to care our skin. I will try this one also for sure, Thank you so much. I recently coloured my hair and for protecting it I used new biogenol haircare products from Framesi, it was really helpful.


Secret B5Stops said...
June 13, 2011 at 3:08 AM

I have struggled with adult acne for years. I am 36 and STILL have issues with it. Two years ago I started using SkinB5 brand products and they have done AMAZING things for my skin. I still get breakouts now that I’m off contraception that helped prevent breakouts, but these products helped significantly AND they help with anti-aging. It is hard to find something that works for both acne and aging skin. I use the cleanser, face cream, eye cream, and also use a product called Help Me. It is a retinol cream I put on at night after washing my face and I think this is the product that works best at keeping my skin clear. Love it!
Acne Treatment