Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Breaking Beauty News : Shu Uemura Exits American Market

It is indeed another sad news for the beauty community.  L'Oréal USA officially announced on Monday that it has decided to pull the luxury Japanese brand Shu Uemura out of the U.S. market. Shu Uemura will still maintain 80% of its markets in Asia, but due to the recession and a change of focus in L'Oréal's product division, all U.S. operations for Shu Uemura will be stopped. The move will not affect the brand's markets in other countries.


This will be a loss to the American cosmetic world. Shu Uemura is a very luxury brand with prices not very affordable to many. However, the brand does make some wonderful products. It is very sad to hear that after the brand pulls out of the U.S. market, the only way for American customers to purchase its products is through its website or import. Some of its products are cult favorites and hearing this news only makes us sad. Hopefully with the economy recovers soon, the brand can reenter the U.S. market one day. I will be waiting.

7 Responses to “Breaking Beauty News : Shu Uemura Exits American Market”

Ashwini said...
March 30, 2010 at 7:44 AM

Oh my god what a sad day! I need to run out and purchase more Face Architect, some staple shadows and the eyelash curler. How sad! Freaking A!


Angela (SparkleMidori) said...
March 30, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I agree. I think I need to go run and get a back up of my curler.


Kalmo said...
March 30, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for letting us know about this sad news, Shu is my favorite brand of all time. :( I need to go stock up now...


ectini said...
March 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM

What?! :( At least we can still order thru the website! I don't think anywhere here sells Shu so I've been buying online anyway >_<


Crystal said...
March 30, 2010 at 5:07 PM

oh no? darn, shu is much cheaper in the US than here. this is truly sad to hear.


Irene said...
March 30, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Nooooo...does this mean they will be taking the curlers off the market too? I was always curious about the brand itself and never had a chance to try it out. (curler aside...) Sad news.


Angela (SparkleMidori) said...
March 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Irene, I don't think they are taking any products off the market. The pulling out of U.S. market simply means that there will not be any Shu counters in department stores and in Sephora and other retailers. The only way you can purchase Shu products is through its official website. Hope this clears up your questions.