Thursday, October 22, 2009

Categorized |

Beauty Babble : Taking Care Your Feet Could Be Dangerous

When it comes to makeups and skincare, I believe that educating ourselves is very important, so that we don't just blindly follow raves. One easy way to do this is the internet. Usually, I spent at least some time every week to try to read news articles and blog posts about cosmetics. The beauty world is constantly being updated and changed. I find myself lost if I don't try to keep up with all the new things. On top of this, internet provides a good way for me to receive first hand news, so that I can share them with my readers.

A while ago after reading a news article, I wrote about the possible negative consequences of using cosmetic products made with nanotechnology (click here to read). Today, while I was browsing online, I came across another news article that brought to me some shocking news.

I'm sure many of us have used face masks before, but recently, foot masks had quickly became a popular skincare trend, especially in Asia. Just like how some facial masks work, most foot masks claim to get rid of dead skin on your feet and make your feet soft and nice. Most of them contain Salicylic Acid, which are widely used in skincare products, especially to treat acnes. However, Salicylic Acid have to be used really carefully because overdose of it is toxic. This is why many governments have strict rules to the amount of Salicylic Acid that can be used in cosmetic products. 

Recently, Taiwan's Public Health Bureau received complaints that some consumers got their feet burned after using foot masks, so the department conducted random tests on 3 of the most popular foot masks on the market. 


The result is shocking. All 3 foot masks' PH level is abnormal, and all 3 has higher than recommended level of Salicylic Acid, which can cause inflamed skin or even burn your feet. The department recommends that consumers be careful when purchasing foot masks until further tests can be conducted on these masks.

This news is so shocking to me because personally, I have actually used 2 of the foot masks that are mentioned in the article. Luckily, I didn't have any bad reactions to them. But I want to share this news with my readers because I know many people had or are interested in foot masks. I stopped using foot masks after trying the 2 kinds because I felt they are too strong to my skin. Plus, when they claim to get rid of your dead skin, it literally means that. After soaking your feet in the masks for an hour, you rinse it off. After several days, you will notice that skin start to peel off of your feet. It was kind of nasty because I like to wear sandals, but my skin was peeling off like I had some kind of skin disease on my feet, so I stopped. 

I would be really interested to see how further tests on these foot masks would turn out. Before that, I would just recommend people to hold off from using them. There are so many other ways to achieve soft skin on our feet, but we don't need to risk our skin getting burned. Has everyone used foot masks before? What are your thoughts on them? I'd love to hear what you guys thinks.

16 Responses to “Beauty Babble : Taking Care Your Feet Could Be Dangerous”

Mei Ping said...
October 22, 2009 at 4:29 PM

OMG ! i didnt know that the foot masks contain such high level of salicylic acid. i have used 2x of a particular one that i bought. supposed to put on the mask for a while then later scrub away all the dead skin. did not like it at all - felt some stinging sensation.


Babybubblz said...
October 22, 2009 at 4:32 PM

nope, I haven't tried before but I've seen them around. Products in Asia seem to be very loosely regulated...scary!

Great post! I also agree that it is very important to do your own research.


lindah said...
October 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM

yeah we were experimenting in lab with SA (salicylic acid) and my lab professor said "be really careful with the SA because it'll do ..blah blah blah.. to your hands!" haha I don't remember exactly what she said but I guess things with SA should be approved by the FDA ^_^


Unknown said...
October 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

omg! :(


Unknown said...
October 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM

omg! :(


~Lisa said...
October 22, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Woah...freaky! Thank goodness I didn't try this one yet. I hope that those who have used this will be okay!!


NicRTV (陳亞任) said...
October 22, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I was just checking out a foot mask at an online store this afternoon...thanks for posting about this...


Fifi said...
October 22, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Thank you for sharing this. Good thing I haven't tried any foot masks.


Kalmo said...
October 23, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Oh wow, thanks for sharing this with us. I hope people who got burned are OK now. :(


Lulu said...
October 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM

omg thanks for sharing this with us! i''ve always wanted to try these foot masks but was too chicken to buy them, cuz I thought it'd be weird to get your skin shed like that and i wasn't sure what the sensation would be since i couldn't find too many reviews on them. Now I know I won't be buying them. Thanks!!


Angela said...
October 23, 2009 at 12:41 PM

@Choky: I didn't know either. I think the mask that you used is a little bit different than the kinds that are talked about in the news article. The kind that are talked about don't actually scrub away the dead skin right away. But after a few days, skin would just kind of peel itself off of your feet. Kind of nasty though...LOL


@Babybubblz: I totally agree with you, but I think the cosmetic industry as a whole is just loosely regulated. Someone should do something about this.


@lindah: I would definitely be interested to know what your professor said because I think this is a very interesting topic since so many products nowadays using SA.


@Lulu: It was definitely weird when I was using the mask because my mom saw me and she was like, "OMG what happened to your feet?"....LOL cuz my feet looked like they have skin disease or something....


It seems like not many people have tried foot masks before. If anyone is interested, I'd love to do a review on it. I won't have any pictures to show you guys what my feet look like because Im not using it any more, but I can definitely tell you guys how I felt about it.


Sarah said...
October 23, 2009 at 5:39 PM

OMG this is seriously scary!!!


Biba said...
October 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM

It is really scary how much we don't know about cosmetic ingredients and what effect do they have on our skin. So I'm trying to learn as much as possible about cosmetics. And after reading your posts, I see that your blog will be a great help to me.


Ceecile ~Priscilla Clara~ ^^ said...
October 25, 2009 at 2:47 AM

that is so scary.. =(
I should be more careful next time I wanted to buy a mask with salisylic acid in it..


Pammy said...
October 30, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Oh boy. This is scary. Thanks for sharing this. It is really helpful. :)


Anonymous said...
April 14, 2010 at 1:09 PM

i am glad i read this post. i will forward this to my family back in taiwan. (i am taiwanese.:P)

thank you so much. it's so very true not to simpply follow what's said to be good. it often is not and can be dangerous too.

ps: i really enjoyed reading your blog and have added it to mine. i love the way you take pictures as they are all very clear and detailed. i am glad you came to my blog for the giveway or else i wouldn't have known about your. thank god for that! :)